Comfy Broccoli Chickpea Casserole
In a delicious cheesy-sauce this hearty broccoli and chickpea casserole is the perfect one dish meal covering all your family's nutritional needs.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, soaked in hot water for 1 hour
- 1 head of broccoli, cut to bite sized pieces
- 14 ounces (one can) cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cups raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- pinch of salt
Soak the rice in hot water for 1 hour.
Preheat your oven to 400-F.
Steam the broccoli for 4-5 minutes, until barely fork tender, transfer to a mixing bowl.
To a high speed blender* add the sauce ingredients and blend until creamy; about 3 minutes. Transfer to a sauce pan and over medium-high heat, stir continually for 7-8 minutes, or until it thickens up a bit. You are looking for the sauce to become creamy and not so liquid-y as when it came out of the blender. Add the sauce to the broccoli bowl along with the chickpeas, drained rice, oregano and a few twists of freshly ground pepper.
Add the mixture to an 8 x 8 baking dish, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for a remaining 8-10 minutes, or until crusty on top.
*If you don't have a high speed blender, soak the cashews for 2-3 hours, drain and use.