Creamy and Chunky Broccoli Soup
This super thick and chunky nutritional powerhouse of a soup is bold and just plain awesome. You'll make it all year round.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped small
- 3 carrot, chopped small
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped small
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6-7 cups chopped broccoli - use the stems, too!
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- pinch of salt and pepper
- white vinegar
- 1 cup of frozen peas + more for garnish
Saute the onion, carrot and celery in a hot pan until the onion becomes translucent. Sprinkle in a little water if it begins to stick.
Add the garlic and stir continually. When it becomes fragrant (about 45 seconds), add in the broccoli and about 1/2 cup of water. Cover and let the vegetables cook at a medium heat for about 7-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make your sauce. Blend the vegetable broth through all the spices and taste for flavor. When the vegetables are ready, add 3/4 of them to the blender and give it 4-5 pulses. You might have to work in batches.
Transfer it all back to the cooking pot. Stir, add a few dashes of vinegar for brightness. Stir again and add in the peas.
Makes 12 cups