These cute little gluten-free fritters take care of that over abundance of summer squash in your garden and add a low calorie addition to any meal! They also make great appetizers for the upcoming holiday season!
- 2 cups of shredded zucchini (about 2 large zucchini)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flax + 1/4 cup water
- 1 white onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed with your knife and minced
- 1 1/2 cups (one 14-ounce can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, minced
Preheat your oven to 375
Shred your zucchini and then transfer in batches to a clean kitchen towel and squeeze water out.
Combine the flax and water and stir. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or so. This is our flax "egg" and a really great binder.
To a hot pan, add the onion and begin your dry saute. Bring the heat down to medium-high and continually stir. Add a few drops of water to deglaze if the onions begin to stick.
Add in the garlic and cook for another 45-60 seconds, until fragrant.
Now, add the zucchini and cook for 5-7 minutes, trying to cook as much water out as you can. If the fritter mixture is too wet, it will not hold together.
Add the chickpeas to a large mixing bowl and press them with a potato masher or the back of a fork. No need to puree, make sure you have some texture.
Transfer the zucchini and onion mixture to the chickpea bowl, add the flax egg, chickpea flour and salt / pepper to taste. Mix well with your hands. Finally fold in the fresh dill.
Place mixture in the fridge to chill for at least one hour to overnight.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pick off an amount that feels somewhere in between a golf ball and a softball size. Roll in your hands, and gently press to flatten a little.
Bake for 15 minutes. Flip and bake an additional 10 minutes.
To freeze: Batch cook and allow to cool. Store in freezer safe container for 3 months.
Serve with Tzatziki and enjoy!
++ Become a Member! ++
Our membership, The Center for Plant-based Living Virtual Community Support Club, is active!! Every month you will receive:
- All virtual monthly cooking classes
- Complete library of past virtual cooking classes + all recipes (located in the private Facebook group)
- Access to private Facebook group
- Monthly accountability check-in and support group Zoom call
- 20% off all virtual multi-week programming
Check our website for more information.