Blueberry Walnut Muffins
Perfect for breakfast or a quick snack, these whole wheat muffins are bursting with juicy blueberries and omega-3s from the walnuts to make for a scrumptious way to fuel your day.
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2.5 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup maple syrup (adjust to taste)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups rough chopped walnuts
Preheat your oven to 375°F.
Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or silicone liners.
In a small bowl, mix together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes to curdle and create vegan buttermilk.
In another small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed and 2.5 tablespoons of water. Allow it to sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes gel-like.
In a large bowl, combine the vegan buttermilk, flax egg, applesauce, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Stir until well mixed.
In another bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix; it’s okay if there are a few lumps. Gently fold the blueberries and walnuts into the batter.
Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow the muffins to cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Do you know about our STREAMING PLUS membership?
Our membership is built like a streaming service - you get a full library of plant-based cooking classes to watch whenever you want. PLUS, you gain access to upcoming interactive virtual cooking classes and a monthly accountability group call.
As a member you get:
- Complete library of all past virtual classes - stream them whenever you’d like!
- Free access to upcoming virtual classes
- Library of easy and quick recipes: 100 and growing
- Access to private Facebook group
- Monthly accountability check-in and support group Zoom call with Caryn
- Quarterly “Ask the Doc” call with Dr. Jim Loomis, our Medical Director
- A community of support
To learn more, please visit us here.