Thank You, My Carnivorous Friend!
I have recently struck up an unlikely friendship with a hard core carnivore. Now, I’m not a crusader of my plant based diet; if you know me, you know this to be very true. However, becoming friends with this guy was not only a little off because of his carnivorous ways, but also because like me, he has a business focused around what he eats. His company, Grillin Fools is a great resource if you want to grill, well, anything.
Even though he is a master at the grill, I’m pretty sure his favorite thing to smoke/grill/sear started out on four legs. We raz each other often on Twitter, knowing full well we will NEVER convert the other, we really don’t want to, we just keep throwing the shots because others (mainly us) still think its ironic that the carnivore and the vegan have found common ground.
Though not a recipe using meat, he recently re-posted this recipe on Twitter and mentioned that I MIGHT be able to veganize it. Might? Simple, my friend.
****My Substitutions are in BOLD****
Author: Scott Thomas
Cuisine: Vegetarian BBQ
Recipe type: Side Dish
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 1 stick of salted butter (Earth Balance Spread)
- 4 ears of corn, shucked and silks removed
- 4 tbsp sour cream (Tofutti sour cream)
- 1 tbsp Code 3 Spices Rescue Rub
- 4 tbsp Cotija cheese (a.k.a. Mexican Parmesan Cheese) (My recipe for Parmesan Cheese)*
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan
- Place the ears of corn right over the hot side of the grill
- Brush with a little butter, being careful to avoid a big flare up
- Roll the corn over 180 degrees when it is browned on the bottom
- Brush with butter again
- Once the bottom is browned again, rotate so the side is over the heat and brush with butter
- Finally rotate to the last side that has not browned and butter again
- Once it is browned all the way around, remove from the grill and take inside to slather with sour cream, shake the BBQ rub over it and then sprinkle with the cheese